The LXXXII Armeekorps was established in France on 25 May 1942 by renaming the Höheren Kommandos z.b.V. XXXVII. LXXXII Armeekorps occupied the triangle Dunkerque, Montreuil, Aire-sur-la-Lys, where its headquarters was located. The corps remained in Northern France until the allied invasion in Normandy. In August 1944 it fought in the Loire and Champagne, finding itself in the Saar area from September of that year, on both occasions serving under the 1 Armee. Finally, in april 1945 the corps would end the war fighting in the Hessen and Thüringen areas as part of 7 Armee.
2. COMMANDING GENERALS AND GENERAL STAFF
The corps had the following commanders:
The general staff was composed as follows:
Uniquely for the German Westfront, the LXXXII Armeekorps was made up of six divisions (three alongside the coast and 3 in reserve further inland) to defend 120 kilometres of coastline and totalled about 60,000 troops. Only one of its divisions (the 331 Infanteriedivision) was motorised, though.
Each division stationed at the coast defended a predetermined sector, the so-called Küstenverteitigungsabschnit or KVA. On 1 June the corps had the following KVAs and divisions:
The general commanding each division was at the same time also the commander of the KVA. In the hinterland three reserve divisions were stationed:
The following clickable map shows the various Küstenverteitigungsabschnitte. Clicking on them will lead you to further information on each division and photographs of its strongpoints and bunkers.
The headquarters of the corps was based in Aire-sur-la-Lys, 19 kilometres southeast of Saint-Omer. In 1943 bunkers were built within the grounds of the French army barracks Taix and Listenoix. The organisation Todt built 3 large headquarters bunkers, a machine bunker, a Michelmannstand for heavy MG, as well as an important covered trench. Concrete guard posts, barracks, and an observation post complete the headquarters.
Overview of the headquarters, showing the four bunkers and the covered trench
The R608 housed the Artilleriekommandeur 141 and his staff.
This Sonderkonstruktion served as quarters for officers of the corps as was camouflaged as a house by the addition of a roof.
On its right a machine bunker was built in order to ensure a steady flow of electricity in case of a failure of the power grid.
The bunker had a telephone exchange, offices, showers, a heating room and a large number of bedrooms.The second Sonderkonstruktion was by far the most important one due to its size (33.10m x 16m).
In its 24 rooms it housed a large part of the general staff, as well as the commander.
This bunker too was camouflaged to look like a house by the addition of two false roofs.