MKB Malo-Terminus

Map number

-

Location

Follow the D60 in a westerly direction. In Malo-les-Bains turn right into the Rue du Terminus. Turn right again at the roundabout. The Boulevard de la République and the Boulevard Jean-Baptiste Trystram take you to the promenade where the first bunkers can be seen. They belong to the WN Darmstadt, to the east of which lies the battery.

Tactical function

Defence of the eastern approaches to the port of Dunkirk
Unit(s) 5 Batterie/Marineartillerieabteilung 204/Seekommandant Pas-de-Calais
Troops 190 (3/25/162), commanded by Leutnant Herwig Geber

Weapons

4x 10.5 cm SK C/32 U, 1x 15 cm lg UbTs KL/45, 1x 7.62 cm FK 288 (r), 3x 5 cm KwK, 3x 4 cm Flak 28 Bofors (e), 2x 2.5 cm Hotchkiss 38 (f), 1x 2.5 cm Pak 112 (f), 3x 2 cm Flak 28 Oerlikon, and several machine guns. Fire was directed with the help of the FuMO Seeriese in the Fort des Dunes.

Bunkers

M162a/SK (French command bunker)/4x R671/2x SK (Marine)/SK (Marine) gun bunker/3x SK/2x Fl242/Vf2a/Vf7a/2x R134
Remaining bunkers M162a/SK (French command bunker)/4x R671/2x M-SK/Fl242/Vf2a/Vf7a/R134
Radar Fire was directed with the help of the FuMO Seeriese in the Fort des Dunes.
Comments

MKB Malo-Terminus was built on the site of an old French battery, dating back to 1778, the Batterie Zuydcoote. The French had approved the independence of the United States and they built this battery to protect themselves againt the English, who did not agree with this approval. The battery eventually fell into decay, but was refitted during the Third Republic. At the end of the 19th century the battery was equipped with 4 9.5 cm guns and 4 19 cm guns as the main armament.

In 1916 the latter were replaced by 4 huge 24 cm guns. In 1934 the battery was modernised and the 24 cm guns were replaced with 4 19.4 cm guns. In 1939 the battery was armed with the 4 19.4 cm guns, 3 9.5 cm guns, 2 7.5 cm guns, and 4 7.5 cm AA-guns.

On 2 June 1940 it was heavily bombarded together with the Fort des Dunes. However, this did not stop the battery from shelling the German lines the following day. In the evening of 3 June three of the four main guns were put out of action by Stuka's, after which the soldiers evacuated the battery at midnight on 4 June.

Shortly after the fall of France part of the Marineartillerieabteilung 206 of the Kriegsmarine occupied the battery on 24 June, code-naming it Malo Terminus. In October 1940 it became the 5 Batterie of Marineartillerieabteilung 204. The original guns were repaired and 4 4 cm Bofors AA-guns were placed between the heavy guns. Today, their open emplacements can still be seen. Later still, the guns were replaced by English 9.4 cm Vickers Armstrong guns. Only on 1 June 1944 were those guns replaced by 4 guns removed from submarines, model 10.5 cm SK C/32 U, which were placed in type R671 bunkers.

 

See this strongpoint on Google Earth


 
Below are some impressions of this strongpoint
The numbers below refer to the above Google Earth map
1. Beach: west to east
General overview of the bunkers on the beach
We begin our walk in the northwestern corner of the battery on the beach, where we see a first R671 (1). Due to erosion all the gun bunkers have fallen off the dunes and now sit on the beach. The camouflage above the Scharte was designed to prevent the concrete from reflecting the sunlight. Finally, note that the bunkers were built with Formsteinen.
Remnants of a concrete Panzersperre are still scattered around the beach.
Parts of a staircase between the gun bunker and the quarters.
The quarters of the type SK (Marine) behind the gun bunker (4). Note the entrance at the rear-right side.
The second R671 (1)
The old French command bunker is just visible on the dune (12).
Remains of a construction
The third R671 differs in type of camouflage from the previous two (1).
The second SK (Marine) quarters bunker on the site (4) lies almost in front of the M162a Leitstand (2). The entrance is still visible at the rear, albeit here on the left side.
Frontal view on the M162a Leitstand (2)
The fourth and final R671 (1). Notice the similarity but also the small differences in camouflage with the third bunker.
Remains of another construction
Quarters bunker, type Vf2a (5)
Open emplacement and adjacent building
The eastern side of the position is marked by the presence of remainders of Vf constructions.
2. Front dunes: from the west to the M162a
We begin our ascent in the northwestern corner of the strongpoint.
Is this a part of an antitank wall?
Spectacular views from the top of the dune on the 2 command bunkers (left), the French fort (middle), and the garage of the battery (right)
Open emplacement for a 4 cm Flak gun (7). It is pointing west
Quarters or storage room underneath the open emplacement
The old French command bunker (12)
The side entrance to the bunker
Probably a ventilation opening
The first open emplacement (13). All four emplacements were built by the French to accommodate the 19.4 cm guns.
A semi-covered trench with flank protection leads to the emplacement.
A Wellblech bunker hiding under the sand (8)
The second open emplacement just west of the Leitstand with a covered trench to its left (13)
A machine gun position close to the M162a
The M162a Leitstand with detailed views of the upper and lower observation rooms (2)
The typical left extension of the M162a seen from the front and the back.
The supporting counterweight at the back
View of the entrance and the Verteidigungsscharte
3. The fort: west to east
General view of the fort (17)
The buildings in the northwest of the fort
Remains of white tiles against the walls
A fireplace used to be here.
The second large building on the northern side.
The entrance leads to a covered corridor which is open on one side.
Entrance to underground quarters
The final large building on the northern side with the entrance to a tunnel on the right
Remains of buildings and first building in the southwestern corner of the fort
A look inside
A room on the western side of this building
The building has a small wing on the left.
A look inside here as well
The side and front of the next building on the southern side
After what look like two garages, a staircase leads up away from the ground level of the fort.
4. The eastern side of the position
The first staircase leads to a second one, to the right of which are some rooms.
Inside view of one of the rooms
Having arrived at the top we can see the remains of the dry ditch around the fort.
Views from inside the dry ditch
A brick construction nearby
More to the front again we found another building to the east of the M162a.
Further east a wall with a machine gun position on its southern flank
The entrance to a Vf2a quarters bunker (5)
Further constructions nearby
5. The southern side of the position
A Wellblech bunker on the southeastern edge of the position (8)
The garage stands in the middle of the southern side of the position (9).