From the second half of June 1940 command over the land-based Kriegsmarine units along the French and Belgian coasts was exercised by the Kommandierender Admiral Frankreich in Paris, with under him the Marinebefehlshber Kanalküste in Wimille, responsible for the northern French and the Belgian coasts. In February 1941 the area of command of the latter was split up and divided into 4 Seekommandanten (Seekommandant Ostende, Seekommandant Dünkirchen, Seekommandant Calais, Seekommandant Boulogne).
In december 1941 the commands of the Seekommandanten were dissolved and the northern French and Belgian coasts resorted under the newly-appointed Seekommandant Pas-de-Calais in Wimille, Konteradmiral Frisius, who between 1 February 1941 and 15 December 1941 had been Seekommandant Boulogne with the rank of Kapitän zur See. The command of Seekommandant Pas-de-Calais was in place from 26 January 1941 until 18 August 1944. In the autumn of 1943 the northern border of the command was moved from the Belgian-Dutch border to Blankenberge in Belgium.
The authority of the Seekommandant extended over the port commanders (Hafenkommandant and Hafenkapitän), naval arsenals, naval intendancies, coastal and naval flak artillerie, harbour protection flotillas (Hafenschutzflotille), transport units (Kraftfahrabteilung), engineer units, radar detection units, communication units, weather units. and smoke units. It did not cover military hospitals or naval shipyards.
Frisius had his headquarters at the Château des Pipots and the Château de la Croix in Wimille and was lodged in the Château de l'Espagnerie. After the transfer of the Marinebefehlshaber Kanalküste (later Admiral Kanalküste) from Wimille to Trouville Frisius used the installations to house his various services. The Stabskompanie of the Seekommandant Pas-de-Calais included the following units: Gericht, Fahrbereitschaft, Marinebäckerei, Marineschlächterei, Hochbauamt I, Standortverwaltung, Marinebekleidungsamt Auchy, Marineverpflegungsamt Boulogne and the Marineverpflegungsamt Lumbres with MVA Armentières subordinated.
The headquarters were located in the Stützpunkt Ortolan. A detailed photographic report of this strongpoint in its current form can be found on this page.
In December 1941 the Seekommandant Pas-de-Calais controlled 5 Marineartillerieabteilungen through the subordinated commands of the Marineartilleriekommandeur im Abschnitt Pas-de-Calais and the Marineartilleriekommandeur im Abschnitt Flandern. While the latter controlled the MAA 204 (Artilleriegruppe Ostende) and the MAA 244 (Artilleriegruppe Calais, Gefechtsstabd Ost), the former controlled the MAA 242 (Artilleriegruppe Gris Nez, Gefechtsstand West in Cran aux Oeufs), the MAA 240 (Artilleriegruppe Boulogne in Wimereux)) and temporarily the MAA 602 (controlling the Batterie Friedrich August and Batterie MI, with headquarters in Boulogne).
In July 1942 the commands of Marineartilleriekommandeur were dissolved, so that the Marineartillerieabteilungen were subordinated directly to the Seekommandant Pas-de-Calais.
On 25 January 1943 the Ia of the command was named as Fregattenkapitän Holitschek.On 18 August 1943 Oberleutnant Tütken and Oberleutnant Schurich were mentioned as Artilleriereferent and Nachrichtenoffizier, respectively. Further, Oberleutnant Lauer was mentioned as Adjutant of the Seekommandant.
On 3 September 1944 Frisius moved his headquarters to Dunkirk (Festung Dünkirchen). On 30 September 1944 Frisius was promoted to Vize-Admiral. The command was was dissolved in October 1944, from which date onwards Frisius became Festungskommandant Dünkirchen, in which capacity he finally surrendered on 9 May 1945, after successfully having defended his fortress.