Thursday, January 05, 2006
The 2006 Bloggies are here again! For those of you unfamiliar with these annual Oscars of the weblog community, check out the 2006 Bloggies site. I spent some quality office time (lunch break) posting my list. I won’t mention what my favourites were for every category, but these blogs were in it for most categories:
- My boyfriend is a twat: The blog that got me blogging (so file your complaints there). Meet Zoe and her zoo of a household, featuring suicidal goldfish, exes of exes, mysteriously disappearing turkeys, tyrannical adolescents and masses of empty bottles of wine. Oh, and a boyfriend that gallops around in rags and has the verbal finesse and diplomacy of a Roman sewer cleaner at a Victorian court.
- Scaryduck: despite its name it has a serious lack of horror, ducks, or any meaningful combination of the two, but it is a good laugh.
- Get on the blandwagon is a recent discovery, but it’s very original and great fun. It could only grow in Australia, where people drink trainloads of alcohol in the blazing sun. Just to give you a measure of how crazy it sometimes gets.
- There comes a time in a man’s life when he starts yearning for a steady relationship and offspring. I can’t think of another reason why I’m hooked on this blog on babies and early fatherhood. Wait, no I know: because Velcrometer is both well written and hilarious at regular intervals.
The Bloggies are mainly for blogs in the language of Shakespeare, or at least the language that would make Shakespeare turn around in his grave like a mole on heroine. But of course it has followers in other languages too. Being of the Dutch persuasion, I’m also curious about the Dutch Bloggies 2006. I must admit I don’t spend a lot of time on ‘local’ blogs, for the simple reason that reading about what happens in my own country is as boring as a boring finale of a boring world championship “Being Boring for the Bored” in Bora-Bora. But here are some notable exceptions:
- The complete and utter weblog of (pdw): although he hasn’t been a prolific writer these last months, but still fine and opinionated humour.
- Luc Verhelst: not so much funny as it is a nice read.
- Struikgewas: I also voted for them on the ‘original’ Bloggies site, a groupblog by some of the best Bloggers of Belgium.
- Polskaya: a recent and interesting discovery
So if you don’t have anything else to do (don’t pretend you have, you’re reading this blog, aren’t you): check out these fine specimens and vote for them on a Bloggies site near you. Oh, and it goes without saying that THIS blog is absolutely the best of the best in the category ‘Ego so large it blocks out the sun’. So do feel free to vote for your favourite Bartlog.