« Old Flanders | Main | Near Death Experience »

Monday, October 29, 2007


I haven't blogged a lot lately because of various virus attacks. Not computer virusses, but those little mean critters that turn your body into a pile of blubbering miserableness. I started the week with something of a flue, went to see the doctor and he ordered me to stay in bed for the rest of the week. Just as I was starting to feel better, poor little Wolf got ill.

My mother-in-law came over on Thursday to babysit for two days. She'd send us off to a restaurant to have a couple of hours for ourselves while she watched the baby. When we returned, we found her and the furniture covered in baby puke. Wolf had the colour of a bed sheet and in the background the washing machine was doing its best to get multiple sets of clothes and other baby stuff clean again. He'd eaten mashed potatoes with carrots that day, and it showed.

We went to bed, but in the middle of the night I woke up because he was vomitting again. His bed, sleeping bag, pyjamas and everythings else got drowned in a real lake of slime. We changed everything and put the little fellow back to bed, but the light was barely out again when we heard him hurl again.

So off we went, at three at night, to the emergency service of the nearby hospital. The doctor cheched him out but she said there was nothing much she could do. Luckily, the puking had stopped and we had no more incidents that night.

Saturday was the first day I felt really better. Wolf had slept a lot on Friday, but he was asking for a lot of attention the next morning. He and his mother drove over to a friend (of his mother's). I took advantage of this opportunity to throw myself into the city – not emerging before I had spent a ridiculous amount of money on comic books, a cell phone and a laptop (for Mrs.B). When we all got back home again, Mrs.B was not feeling well at all – she didn't even complain about my spending frenzy. And then it was her turn to throw up. She asked for a bucket. And then another one. And another one. And one after that.

When she was done reviewing her past seven or eight meals, she asked me to go to the shop to stock in on biscuits and apple juice – an old family remedy for intestinal problems. She can't take any drugs, because she's breast feeding. But in the shop I got a queezy feeling in my stomach, so I was sure to take a couple of pills the moment I got back home.

Alas, it didn't help. Although I didn't have to throw up, if it has to come out, it will find a way. I will refrain from divulging any other details, lest you be eating or something. But it goes in the direction of the sludge you'd find in a ditch that meanders through the slums of a city on the equator after a cholera epidemic. Only worse.

On Sunday morning, the three of us were just human waste, after a long, sweaty and sleepless night. Wolf was crying for attention, but the two of us felt like jellyfish on the beach. We were barely able to lift him out of his bed, let alone walk around with him on our rubber-band legs. So I called up my parents, who came over as soon as possible. But they had to go to a party at three, so I volunteered some friends to take the second shift. So Mrs.B and I spent the day in bed, not doing what you'd like to do in bed when someone's taking care of the baby for a change. Today, the grown ups feel a bit better, but Wolf has started puking again so he's off with his mother to see the doctor again as I write this. But I'm afraid the doctor can't do a lot against these nasty bugs. We'll just have to sweat it out.

Speaking of which, good thing I took a shower this morning.

Posted by Bart at 6:24 PM
Edited on: Monday, October 29, 2007 6:42 PM
Categories: MarriedMan the Magnificent

Contact me:

Contact me (24K)