|Escutcheon of Kuringen
after a drawing of Francis Goole.
|Kuringen, a fusion municipality of Hasselt (Belgium) since 1977, used to
be an agrarian village, but nowadays most farms and big homesteads have
disappeared. The majority of the present population works in the
The original surface of Kuringen was 1953 ha, and after the attachment of Stokrooi in 1971, it counted 2850 ha. The area is divided in three by on the one hand the Albert channel and on the other the river of the Demer.
Kuringen owes its name to a Germanic name 'Kuri'. After the Frankish invasion, Germanic tribes probably settled here from the 5th century on.
Kuringen would then mean 'with the people of Kuri'. The original area was in the hands of the Pepinides, who established huge bailiwicks. Geertruydt, daughter of Pepin the Old, probably stayed in Kuringen several times between 626 and 659. For many centuries she
has been honoured here as a patron saint.
In a charter of February the 5th 1078, we find the first official mention of 'Curinges'.
|(last modified January, 2002)|
For more information about this website, please contact: Maurice Reymen or Jozef Berx