Remnants Brussels

hostess

This circular pavilion was the former administration housing of the Benelux Gate. Today itís used as a nice promotion building for the Atomium. It is almost in original 1958 shape, even the toilets survived without considerable alterations

One of the two former buildings of the firebrigade as found near the Heysel Palaces and now used as an office for the maintenance personnel.

The former Expo nursery building as found in the Ossegem park.

Pavilion of Comptoir Tuilier, the roofing tile industries. Today a cosy restaurant nearby the Atomium and named Salon 58

Left: In fact, this brigde was built for the Belgian Exhibition in 1935. It only became a new rail for the 1958 edition

Right: Under the overpass bridge.

Remnants of the huge overpass in the Ossegem park; left and center the start position over the Foreign Section and on the right the runback in the East-West.

This construction was used by the customs during the Expo and it still is in

good shape.

Especially built for the Expo, Palace VII and daily used for stock-exchanges and exhibitions.

The remains of the U.S.A. pavilion are used as a TV-studio for the National Broadcasting Station in Belgium and it iswell known as the American Theatre. These pictures show the base construction which is the only conserved element.

The Benelux fountain in front of the Atomium is located nearby the stubborn trees of the Kreupelboslaan.

Expo remnants in Brussels and at the Heysel site (B)

The original Ginder-Ale restaurant is part of the Atomium† and not in use at the moment. Other picture shows the nice Expo-Cafť which is located near the main Heysel parkings. Not an Expo construction, just for fun.

One of the biggest Expo-parkings is located just nearby the Heysel Expo Halls.††

Left picture shows the Studio 58 which was one of the restaurants of the USA pavilion. Today this place is also used as a restaurant/cafetaria.

Other pictures show the auditorium at the backside of the building. The inside walls and ceiling survived a few renovations. The studioís are frequently used for public and live broadcast.

The former terrain of the Foreign Section is traversed by a underground railway for trams. This giant tunnel had to be first constructed before the terrain got leveled.

Other pictures shows the pedestrian tunnel as found near the remnants of the U.S.A. pavilion.

Stairs of the pedestrian-bridge are still used by the tram passengers. Many tunnels of the capitolís ring road got especially contructed for the world fair. Right picture shows a larger one, the Leopold 2 tunnel.