ONION & CARAWAY TART
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 7 Tbsp. butter, diced
- l tsp. caraway seeds, crushed
- salt>1 egg yolk mixed with 2 tsp. water
- For the Filling:
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 lbs. onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup cream
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- salt & black pepper
- To make the pastry, mix together the flour and the butter and rub in with your fingers.
- Stir in the caraway seeds and salt.
- Stir in the egg yolk and water and mix to a soft dough.
- Wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to line an 8-inch tart pan.
- Trim the edges and prick the base.
- Cover the base with foil or parchment paper and weigh with dried beans.
- Bake the pastry "blind" in the oven at 400*F for 10 minutes.
- Remove the beans and foil or paper, and bake the pastry crust for 5 minutes more.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350*F.
- To make the filling, melt the butter and oil in a pan and cook the onions over low heat until they are soft and just beginning to color.
- Remove from the heat.
- Beat together the eggs, egg yolks and cream.
- Stir in the caraway seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the onions and stir with a wooden spoon. Pour the mixture into the partly-baked pastry crust and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until the filling has set. Serve hot or cold.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer