STUFFED VINE LEAVES
- 1/2 lb. vine leaves (leaves of black grapes are very tender)
- 1-1/2 cups rice
- 4 bunches of parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 bunches scallions finely chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp allspice
- Soak the vine leaves in boiling hot water for a few minutes, drain.
- Mix the scallions, parsley, mint leaves, the lemon juice and olive oil with the rice and part of the diced tomatoes to make the stuffing of the vine leaves.
- Add salt and allspice.
- Let rest for an hour.
- Put a teaspoonful of the stuffing on the vine leave, without the water, wrap the leave tight.
- (First fold the 2 ends, then roll it.
- ) Continue with the rest of the leaves .
- Arrange tomato slices in the bottom of pan for the leaves not to stick.
- Then, arrange the leaves in a circle in the pan , continue till you get a second layer and so on.
- Pour the water left by the stuffing in the pan, cover with some water if necessary and put a china plate on the top as a weight, cover and cook on a low heat for 1 1/2 hour.
- Invert the pan on a serving plate. Serve hot. Or cold as an appetizer.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer