AJVAR (ROASTED PEPPERS AND EGGPLANT)
- 12 Fresh red New Mexican chiles
- 4 Meduim eggplants
- 3/4 c Olive oil or corn oil
- 1 Large onion, minced
- 3 Large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 T Lemon juice
- 2 T Red wine
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Roast the peppers and eggplant over charcoal or gas flame, or bake in a preheated oven at 475 deg.
- F until the skins are blistered and black.
- Place the roasted vegetables in a paper bag and let them steam in their own heat for 10 minutes.
- Peel off and discard the burnt skins along with the stems and seeds.
- Mash the pepper and eggplant pulp together to form a homogeneous mass, either smooth or slightly chunky, as desired.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet and saute the onion until very soft.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes lomger.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pepper-eggplant pulp, mixing well.
- Slowly drizzle remaining oil into the mixture, stirring constantly to incorporate all the oil.
- Add lemon juice and vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley. Serve as an appetizer spread on thick slices of country-style white bread.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer