- 1/2 Loaf day-old whitebread
- -unsliced, homemade-type
- 10 Anchovy fillets, finely
- 4 tb Butter -- softened
- 2 tb Dijon mustard
- 4 Eggs -- hard-cooked- finely
- 1/4 c Dill -- finely chopped
- 1/4 c Dill, parsley & chives
- 1/8 ts Black pepper -- fresh ground
- 2 tb Butter
- 2 tb Vegetable oil
- Trim the crusts from the load of bread and cut into 12 slices 1/8" thick.
- In a small bowl, mash together the chopped anchovies, butter, mustard, eggs, herbs and pepper.
- The mixture should be quite smooth.
- Thickly spread it on 6 slices of bread.
- Top each slice with another piece of bread and lightly press them together.
- At this point, the sandwiches may be wrapped in wax paper and refrigerated for up to 3 days or even frozen (they should be thoroughly defrosted before using).
- Over moderate heat, melt the butter and oil in a 10-12" skillet.
- When the foam subsides, add the sanwiches, 2 or 3 at a time, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until they are crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve while hot either whole as a main luncheon course or snack, or cut in quarters to accompany cocktails.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer