- 2 large red onions -- about. 1 1/2 lbs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs -- or Panko
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 375* F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray.
- Peel the skin from the onions and trim the bottoms so that the onions sit flat.
- Starting at the center of the top of each onion and working around it, cut 20 to 30 slits, cutting only three-quarters into the onion for a "flower" effect.
- Transfer to the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder and paprika.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites lightly with a fork.
- Pour the whites over the onion to cover thoroughly and then sprinkle evenly with the seasoned crumbs. Spray lightly with olive oil spray and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Serve Immediately.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer