SKEWERED BARBEQUED SHRIMP
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice or wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 pounds medium shrimp, shelled
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat until it smokes.
- Add peanut oil, then ginger, reduce heat and add garlic.
- Stir in tomato sauce, sherry, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, until sauce thickens.
- Pour sauce into a bowl and cool, add shrimp.
- Marinate shrimp, refrigerated and covered, 8 hours (I use a plastic zip-type bag.
- ) When ready to serve, remove shrimp from marinade, shake off excess and thread onto skewers.
- Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat broiler. Grill or broil shrimp on one side until pink. Turn and cook a few minutes, until they are just cooked through. Bring marinade to a boil and serve with shrimp and plenty of hot bread.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer