OYSTERS IN CHAMPAGNE SAUCE
- 24 Raw oysters - in shell
- -----CHAMPAGNE SAUCE-----
- 1 1/2 tb Unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tb Flour
- 1/2 c Oyster juice - from above
- 1/2 c Champagne - or other dry
- -sparkling wine
- 1/4 ts Celery seed - ground
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 c Rock salt - or coarse salt
- -for the broiler pan
- * 2 cups rock salt - or coarse salt for the broiler pan
- PREPARATION: Open the oysters as instructed in previous recipe ("Opening Oysters in the Microwave").
- Measure 1/2 cup of the strained cooking liquid and reserve.
- CHAMPAGNE SAUCE: Melt the butter in a 1-quart glass or ceramic measure or bowl, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup reserved oyster juices and Champagne and cook, uncovered, on high, stirring twice during cooking, for 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Recipe can be made to this point a few hours ahead.
- COOKING AND SERVING: Heat the broiler with rack set at its highest level.
- Stir celery seed and white pepper to taste into the sauce.
- Spread 2 cups of coarse or rock salt in the bottom of a broiler pan to steady oysters.
- Nestle reserved shells into salt.
- Put each oyster in a shell and thoroughly coat the tops with sauce.
- Put under preheated broiler until just golden, about 2 minutes.
- Makes 4 first-course servings. NOTE: This is a simple and elegant classic. You can prepare the oysters and sauce ahead in the microwave, and then broil for a minute or two just before serving. The obvious wine to serve is Champagne. If yo
This page is made by Pascal Meijer