- 12 oz Smelt, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 c All-purpose flour
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 1 ts Dry mustard
- 1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 ts Paprika
- 1 Finely grated lemon peel
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tb Chopped fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Lemon peel strips (opt)
- Fresh dill sprig (opt)
- Rinse smelt under cold running water.
- Pat dry on paper towels.
- In a plastic bag, combine flour, salt, mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika and lemon peel.
- Add smelt and shake well until fish are evenly coated.
- Half fill a deep-fat fryer or saucepan with oil, heat to 375`F.
- ) or until a 1/2" cube of day-old bread browns in 40 seconds.
- Place 1/2 of smelt in a frying basket.
- Lower basket gradually into hot oil and fry 1 minute, shaking basket frequently.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Reheat oil to 375`F.
- Repeat with remaining smelt.
- Place all of smelt into basket and fry 1-2 minutes more or until lightly golden and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels. Turn into a warm serving dish, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot with lemon wedges. Garnish with lemon peel strips and dill sprigs, if desired.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer