CROSTINI DI POLENTA AI FUNGHI (POLENTA CROSTINI & MUSHROOM)
- 1 oz Dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 tb Olive oil
- 1 lg Red onion, finely minced
- 1 lb Fresh brown mushrooms,
- -- cleaned & sliced
- 3 sm Ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tb Parsley
- Salt & pepper
- 6 c Water
- 2 1/2 ts Salt
- 2 c Cornmeal, finely ground
- Olive oil
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in warm water to cover for at least 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove from liquid & rinse well under cold water.
- Chop roughly & pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy saute pot & saute onion until it is translucent & soft.
- Add the garlic & all the mushrooms.
- Reduce heat to low & cook, stirring intermittently, for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt & pepper & cook for another 5 minutes.
- POLENTA: Bring the salted water to vigorous boil in a large pot.
- Reduce heat to low & slowly sprinkle in the cornmeal in a thin stream, first whisking it in & then stirring constantly being careful to eliminate any lumps.
- Keep the water at a steady simmer & stir frequently.
- When it comes away from the side of the pot, after 20 or 25 minutes, then it is cooked.
- Check for salt.
- Allow to cool by pouring onto a baking sheet & patting until it is as smooth as possible.
- Cut the polnta into slices that are 2" wide & 3" to 4" long. Brush lightly with the olive oil. Broil until they are firm & lightly crisp on both sides. Place a spoonful
This page is made by Pascal Meijer