BELGIAN ENDIVE AND HAM AU GRATIN
- 8 sm Head belgian endive
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 8 Thin slices cooked ham
- 2 tb Butter or margarine
- 1/4 c Flour
- 1 1/4 c Milk
- 1/2 c To 3/4 c grated cheddar or
- -gruyere cheese
- 1/2 c To 3/4 c fresh soft bread
- 1/4 c Grated cheddar or gruyere
- 2 Tomatoes
- Trim the bottom of the endive heads and remove the outer leaves if necessary.
- Cook in boiling salted water with a squeeze of lemon juice for about 15 minutes until JUST tender.
- Drain well and wrap each head of endive in a slice of ham, then put into the baking dish.
- Prepare the sauce while the endive is cooking.
- To make this, heat the butter in a saucepan.
- Remove from heat, stir in the flour, return to the heat and cook for several minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend in the milk.
- Stir over a low heat until thickened, add seasoning and 3 tbsp of the endive stock.
- Add the cheese to the sauce, pour over the ham and endived. Top with crumbs and cheese, brown under the broiler, then top with sliced tomatoes. TO SERVE: As soon as cooked.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer