Seasoned Chips with Lone Star 'Caviar'
- 2 medium tomatoes -- seeded and chopped
- - 2 cups
- 1 15 oz. can black-eyed peas -- rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper -- chopped
- - 1-1/3 cups
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 serrano peppers -- seed & finely chop
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers -- seed & finely chop
- 2 garlic cloves -- minced
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin -- divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 6" whole-wheat flour tortillas
- Caviar: Combine tomatoes, peas, bell pepper, onions, cilantro, lemon juice, serrano peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill at least 4 hours to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Chips: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large plastic food-storage bag or paper bag, combine remaining 2 teaspoons cumin, chili powder and garlic powder, set aside.
- Spray both sides of each tortilla with vegetable cooking spray, cut each into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges in bag. Secure bag and shake to coat. Arrange 32 wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 7 to 9 minutes, or until light golden brown. Repeat with remaining tortilla wedges. Cool completely. Serve with Caviar.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer