Sea Anemone Canapés
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp, shelled, deveined and -- coarsely
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 4 hard cooked eggs -- yolks separated
- 3/4 cup butter -- softened
- 8 slices pullman loaf white or egg bread* -- cut 1/2 inch
- 1 2 oz jar pimiento stuffed olives
- minced parsley -- optional
- Special equipment: Two cookie cutters: 1 1/2 inches round and 2 inches round, small mesh strainer, melon baller.
- *A pullman loaf is a whole, unsliced loaf.
- Slice horizontally to obtain long, rectangular slices.
- In a blender or food processor combine shrimp, mayonnaise, garlic powder, dill, chives and egg whites.
- Spread a smooth layer of butter on the bread slices and cut into 60 rounds with the 2-inch cutter.
- Remove the centers from 30 of the rounds with the 1 1/2-inch cutter and discard them.
- These rounds will resemble small doughnuts.
- Place a doughnut-shaped bread round over a solid round and generously butter the edges of the two layers.
- Force the egg yolks through a strainer.
- Stir the strained yolks lightly with a fork.
- Roll the edges of the bread rounds in the strained egg yolks.
- The egg yolks will stick to the buttered surface.
- Shake off any excess.
- Repeat until all the rounds are covered with the strained egg yolks.
- With a melon baller, fill each of the centers of the rounds with a small mound of the shrimp spread. To garnish, slice the pimiento-stuffed olives and top each anemone with a
This page is made by Pascal Meijer