Snail Fritters / Beignets D'escargots
- 1 x Canned or cooked snails 2 tb Olive oil
- 1 x Oil for frying 1 x Salt and pepper
- 1 x Parsley sprigs to garnish 1 tb Olive oil
- 2 ea Eggs, separated 1 x Herbs
- 1 1/2 c Flour
- Preparation time 1 hour 35 minutes including marinating.
- Cooking time 8 minutes.
- Ingredients: 60 Burgundy snails 100 petits-gris snails (canned or freshly cooked) 2 eggs, separated 1 1/2 cups flour 2 Tbsp olive oil 1 Tbsp olive oil First make the batter.
- Mix the egg yolks with the flour and olive oil.
- Add a little warm water to give a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Season and leave to stand.
- Just before using, gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Drain the snails and marinade for 1 hour in the olive oil and chopped herbs (parsley, tarragon, chives, and chervil).
- Drop the snails into the batter by the handful, then remove them one by one and drop into the hot frying oil (2 at a time in the case of petits-gris), fry until golden brown, then drain on paper towels. Serve garnished with fried parsley.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer