DEVILED CRAB QUICHE
- 2 c All-purpose flour
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/2 ts Chili seasoning
- 1/4 c Cold margarine, diced
- 1/4 c Lard, diced
- 1/2 c Finely grated Cheddar cheese
- 3 tb Cold water
- 6 sl Bacon, chopped
- 2 Onion, chopped
- 4 oz Crabmeat, flaked
- 3 Eggs
- 2/3 c Half-and-half
- 1/2 ts Mustard powder
- 1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Tomato slices (opt)
- Italian parsley sprigs (opt)
- Preheat oven to 400`F.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and chili seasoning.
- Cut in margarine and lard until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add cheese and mix well.
- Stir in cold water and mix to form a fairly firm dough.
- Knead gently on a floured surface and roll out pastry.
- Set a 10" flouted flan pan with a removable bottom on a baking sheet.
- Press pastry into flutes and trim edge neatly.
- Prick base with a fork.
- Line pastry with waxed paper and fill with dried beans.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove waxed paper and beans and bake 5-10 minutes more or until dry and lightly golden.
- Fry bacon 3 minutes.
- Add onion, cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix with crabmeat.
- Spoon mixture into flan shell. Whisk eggs, half-and-half, mustard, cayenne and salt. Pour into flan shell. Bake 30-35 minutes or until set and lightly golden. Garnish with tomato and parsley, if desired, and serve warm or cold.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer