SAUSAGE AND MUSHROOM PHYLLO TWISTS
- 1/2 lb Pork sausage meat crumbled
- 1 Minced small onion
- 1 Minced garlic clove
- 1 tb Unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb Mushroom chopped fine
- 1/2 ts Ground cumin
- 1 pn Of allspice
- 1/2 ts Dried crumbled mint
- 1/4 c Minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 oz Cream cheese softened
- 16 12 inch sheets phyllo
- -stacked between 2 sheets of
- Paper and covered with damp
- -dish towel
- 1/4 c Clarified butter
- 2 tb Fine fresh bread crumbs
- In a large skillet cook the sausage meat over moderately high heat, stirring and breaking up any larger pieces, until it is cooked through and browned.
- Transfer meat to a fine sieve, and drain.
- In the skillet, cook the onion and the garlic in the unsalted butter over moderately low heat until the onion is softened.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring until the liquid the mushrooms give off evaporates.
- Add the cumin, allspice and the mint and cook the mixture, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the sausage meat, the parsley, cream cheese, and salt and pepper to taste, and combine the mixture well.
- Working quickly to keep the phyllo from drying out, put 1 sheet of phyllo on a work surface, brush lightly with some of the clarified butter, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the bread crumbs.
- Lay another sheet of phyllo on top of the first sheet and brush lightly with some of the remaining clarified butter.
- Cut the sheets into thirds lengthwise and into quarters crosswise to form 12 squares. Put a rounded teaspoon of the filling in each square, gather the corners of the phyllo ove
This page is made by Pascal Meijer