South Street Crab Cakes
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter (6 Tablespoons)
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat picked over
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce (few drops)
- 2 Tbsps fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges
- In a skillet cook onion and celery in 4 tablespoons butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until tender and transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in crab and bread crumbs.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, parsley and salt and pepper to taste and stir into crab mixture until combined well.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Form crab mixture into 6 flattened rounds, each about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick, and transfer to baking sheet.
- Chill crab cakes, covered with plastic wrap, at least 1 hour and up to 4.
- In a heavy skillet heat 1 tablespoon butter over moderate heat until foam subsides and cook half of crab cakes until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Cook remaining crab cakes in remaining tablespoon butter in same manner. Serve crab cakes warm with lemon wedges. Makes 6 crab cakes,
This page is made by Pascal Meijer