Spoonbread Custard With Mushrooms
- 1/2 pound large mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter -- plus
- extra for greasing casserole
- 1/2 onion -- finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs -- beaten
- Wipe mushrooms clean and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring, until softened and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to buttered 2-quart casserole and set aside.
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in saucepan and add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Put cornmeal in small bowl and add remaining 1/2 cup cold water, stirring to dampen cornmeal.
- (This helps prevent lumping when cornmeal is added to boiling water.
- ) Add dampened cornmeal to boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add buttermilk and stir to blend well.
- Add eggs and stir until well mixed. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Pour into casserole with mushrooms and onions and stir to mix well. Bake at 375 degrees until light golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer