- 2 sheets filo dough -- * see note
- Filling of choice
- 1/3 can butter -- melted
- 1 egg -- well beaten
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese -- for topping
- Bring filo dough to room temperature, but do not unwrap.
- Prepare filling and set aside.
- Have butter ready.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a baking sheet.
- Place a large tea towel on a flat work surface.
- Unwrap filo dough and lay it flat.
- Place 1 filo sheet on towel with a long side facing you, keep other sheets covered with waxed paper topped with a dampened tea towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Brush filo sheet with butter, then place a second sheet on top of the first.
- Brush second sheet with butter.
- Spread filling over buttered filo sheets, leaving a 3-inch border uncovered on long side farthest from you.
- Fold side nearest you over filling, then lift towel and roll up dough, encasing filling.
- Pinch seam edges together to seal.
- Place roll, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Flatten top slightly with your palm.
- Cut slits through top pastry layers at intervals of about 1/2 inch, do not cut all the way through. Brush top with egg and bake until golden (25 to 30 minutes). Remove from oven and cut the rest of the way through s
This page is made by Pascal Meijer