MUSHROOM SPRING ROLLS
- 6 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 ounces tofu, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon carrot, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon , light soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or sherry
- 3 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 12 small spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg white beaten
- oil for deep-frying
- Soak the dried Chinese mushrooms for 30 minutes in hot water to cover.
- Wipe and trim the fresh mushrooms and discard the stems.
- Finely chop both the fresh and dried mushrooms.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients except wonton wrappers and egg white and oil for frying.
- Leave the mixture to stand for fifteen minutes in a cool place.
- Place the spring roll wrappers on a worktop or chopping board.
- Make the mixture into 12 small rolls of equal size.
- Place one on each wrapper.
- Brush the uncovered part with egg white.
- Fold in two corners across the filling and roll up tightly from one of the unfolded corners and dampen the last corner and press to secure.
- 7. Heat the oil until very hot and fry 3-4 rolls at a time. Turn the rolls occasionally using a skimmer or slotted spoon. Fry until golden brown.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer