PUMPKIN WALNUT PHYLLO SNAILS
- 1 Pumpkin (4 to 4 1/2 lbs.)
- 1/2 c Granulated sugar
- 2 tb Ground cinnamon
- 1 c Chopped walnuts
- 1 lb Commercial phyllo sheets
- 1/2 c Olive oil or butter -- melted
- Cut the pumpkin in half, remove and discard the seeds, the peel using a sharp knife.
- Grate the pumpkin on the medium holes of a cheese grater (there should be approximately 4 cups of finely grated pumpkin).
- Taste for flavor, adding more sugar if desired.
- Start to roll the "snails".
- Lay the phyllo flat and deep, covered with a damp towel except when rolling.
- Brush one filo sheet lightly with the oil and fold in half lengthwise.
- Spread a row of filling (about 3 to 4 tablespoons) across the length of one end of the filo to within an inch of each edge.
- Roll up to seal the filling, forming a long tube.
- Then, beginning at one end, curl up tightly into a "snail-like" coil and set on a baking sheet.
- Continue until all the filling has been used, keeping the rolls covered with waxed paper or plastic to avoid drying.
- Brush the rolls with oil or butter and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until puffy and crisp. Serve warm or cold with poultry or game dishes.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer