Vegetable Ladder Loaf
- 2 medium red, yellow, or orange sweet peppers
- 1 1/2 cups spinach -- firmly packed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil -- firmly packed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 egg -- beaten
- 1 package puff pastry -- thawed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds -- toasted
- 2 tbsps bread crumbs
- Roast peppers and remove skin.
- Cut into strips.
- Combine spinach, basil, Parmesan cheese, and garlic in food processor and p ulse until well combined.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the beaten egg and process till nearly smooth.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or plain brown paper.
- Unfold s heets of pastry.
- Put one sheet of pastry on a baking sheet.
- Brush pastry with some of egg.
- Sprinkle half of bread crumbs in 3 inch strip down center of pas try.
- Spread half of spinach-basil combination on top of bread crumbs to within one inch of ends.
- Sprinkle with half of the nuts.
- Arrange half of pepper str ips evenly over filling.
- On both sides of filling make 3 inch cuts from the edges toward the center at 1 inch intervals.
- Starting at one end, alternately fold opposite strips of dough at an angle across filling.
- 5. Repeat with other half of ingredients. 6. Brush each pastry with beaten egg. 7. Bake at 425¼ for 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm. Cut each pastry
This page is made by Pascal Meijer