- 2 ea Eggplants (1 - 1-1/2 lbs ea)
- 4 ea Garlic cloves
- 2 ea Tomatoes- peeled and chopped
- 1 x Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 T Fresh parsley- chopped
- 1 t Dried oregano- crumbled
- 1/3 c Olive oil, more if necessary
- 6 T Red wine vinegar, or more
- Bake eggplants for 45 minutes in a 375 degree oven or in hot ashes.
- Peel off and discard the skin, then chop the eggplant flesh while still hot.
- Rub a wood or earthenware bowl with one of the garlic cloves, cut.
- Add the eggplant and beat with a wooden spoon-- or if available use a wood mortar to pound the eggplants.
- Continue pounding or beating, meanwhile adding the tomatoes, a little salt and pepper, 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed, and the herbs.
- Continuing to beat, gradually add the olive oil alternately with the red wine vinegar.
- Taste, adding oil and vinegar if necessary, melitzanosalata should be thick and smooth.
- Serve cold with fish, meat, or fresh crisp bread.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer