- 4 Long Chinese eggplants
- cut lengthwise
- into quarters
- 2 ounce Agar-agar strips (optional)
- =OR=- substitute
- Shredded Lettuce-
- 1 tablespoon Toasted sesame seeds
- (for garnish)
- -----HUNAN VINAIGRETTE-----
- 1 teaspoon Grated ginger
- 2 Garlic cloves -- finely minced
- 2 Green onions -- finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves -- minced
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon White vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese hot chili oil
- =(or to taste)=-
- 1/4 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt
- PLACE THE EGGPLANT in a shallow heat-proof dish and steam over high heat for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Test with a fork.
- When cooled, tear into thin strips or cut into a 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a bowl, cover the optional agar-agar with cold water for 10 seconds or until pliable.
- Drain, cut into 1-inch lengths and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Arrange the agar-agar in a shallow platter.
- Toss the chilled eggplant with the vinaigrette and scatter over the agar-agar.
- Garnish with a sprig of coriander and the toasted sesame seeds.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer