Spinach Salad in Fresh Orange Dressing w/ Pine Nuts-Daley
- 6 navel oranges -- chilled
- 4 cups spinach -- trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups watercress
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1/3 cup shallot -- minced
- 2 cloves garlic -- peeled and minced
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
- Peel the oranges and remove the white pith.
- Over a bowl positioned to catch the juice, separate the segments of each orange from the membrane with a sharp knife, discarding the seeds and set them aside.
- Squeeze the residual juice from the membranes into the bowl and reserve.
- Combine the spinach and watercress in a mixing bowl.
- Put the pine nuts in a small saute pan and cook them over medium heat for about 6 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until the nuts are golden brown.
- Transfer the pine nuts to a small bowl.
- Put the shallots, garlic, vinegars, and reserved orange juice into the saute pan.
- Bring to a boil over low heat.
- Stir int he black pepper then pour the dressing over the spinach and watercress.
- Toss to coat.
- Arrange the mixture on salad plates, spoon orange segments atop each, and garnish with the pine nuts, and if you like, orange wheels.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer