Barley Soup with Ham
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion -- chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves -- chopped
- 2 Carrots -- diced
- 2 Ribs celery -- diced
- 3/4 cup Pearl barley
- 6 cups Chicken broth
- 1 small Imported bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground allspice
- 1/2 cup Diced smoked ham
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1/3 pound Fresh mushrooms -- trimmed and
- 3 teaspoons Lemon juice 1 tablespoon Fresh parsley leaves -- minced
- Put the oil and onion in a soup kettle, set over low heat, and cook until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium, stir in the garlic and carrots, and stir-cook for one minute.
- Add the celery and stir-cok for a minute.
- Add the barley, broth, bay leaf, and allspice.
- Bring to the boil, skimming the top of the soup as necessary.
- Simmer, covered, for about one hour, or until the barley is tender.
- Stir the ham into the piping hot soup and let simmer while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Heat the butter in a small skillet, add the mushrooms and lemon juice, and stir-cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Season the soup with salt and freshly- ground pepper to taste.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and serve immediately.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer