BIRD'S NEST SOUP
- 3 1/2 ounces (approx) dried bird`s nest
- 6 cups Rich chicken stock for soup
- 1 large Chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Rich chicken stock for paste
- 1 tablespoon Dry sherry
- 1/4 cup Rich chicken stock
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Green onions -- minced
- 1 tablespoon Minced Smithfield ham
- Preparation: Soak bird`s nest in cold water overnight.
- Drain and rinse.
- Spread softened nest pieces on plate, pick out prominent pieces of "foreign" matter (e.g, feathers, twigs) with tweezers.
- Debone chicken breast, remove membrane and muscle fiber, pound meat with cleaver handle to break down tissue, mince chicken until it is pulp.
- Make medium thick paste with cornstarch and chicken stock.
- Cooking: Bring rich chicken stock for soup to boil.
- Immediately add bird`s nest, simmer 30 minutes.
- Mix dry sherry and remaining stock, dribble slowly into minced chicken.
- Lightly beat egg whites with a fork, fold gently into chicken so they are not completely blended.
- Add salt to soup.
- Bring soup back to boil and add chicken mixture slowly so soup does not cool.
- When soup returns to boil, it is ready to serve.
- You can hold it at this point on low heat.
- Pour into serving bowl, garnish with green onions and ham.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer