Cajun Black Bean Soup
- 1 pound Dry black beans
- 1 1/2 pounds Smoked ham hock
- 1 1/2 quarts Water
- 1/4 cup Dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Minced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
- In large kettle, combine beans, ham hock and water.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer covered for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir frequently and add more water if necessary to cover beans.
- To test for doneness, remove a few beans from kettle with a slotted spoon and blow on them.
- Skins will pop open when beans are cooked.
- Remove ham hock.
- Chop meat from bones, discarding fat and bones.
- Add meat to soup.
- Stir in minced onion, paprika, cayenne pepper, green pepper, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove 3/4 of soup and puree in blender or processor.
- Stir puree back into remaining beans.
- If necessary, add water or chicken broth to obtain desired thickness.
- Serve with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, minced chives or chopped eggs.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer