- 1 1/2 Cups Clam Juice
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Clams -- * see note
- 4 To 5 Strips Thick Sliced Bacon
- 1 Medium Onion -- diced
- 3 Tblsp Flour
- 1 To 2 Cups Potatoes -- (cubed)
- 1 Cup Celery
- 3 To 4 Bay Leaves -- ** see note
- 2 Tblsp Tarragon
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 4 Cups Warm Milk
- Add onions and clams to fat, cook slowly till onions are translucent.
- Once onions are translucent add flour and stir until blended then add clam juice, potatoes, 1/2 of the bay leaves, 1/2 of the tarragon, ground pepper (about a 1 tblsp), and celery.
- Cover and simmer in low heat until potatoes are cooked.
- Once potatoes are cooked add milk, rest of bay leaves, cooked bacon, and rest of the tarragon.
- Cover and simmer for another 15 min.
- Let chowder cool some then refridgerate at least overnight, if not a whole day to ripen.
- Reheat, salt and pepper to taste.
- If your chowder isnt as thick as you would like use cornstarch or arrowroot diluted in cold water and add it to your chowder after it is hot slowly stirring in cornstarch/arrowroot mixture until it is the consistancy you like.
- Then you need to heat it at least a few minutes more to cook out the taste your thickening agent.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer