Edna Lewis' Thirteen-Bean Soup
- 1/2 cup Dried black beans, washed -- picked over
- 2 cups Packaged 13-bean soup mix -- washed, picked over
- 1 pound Smoked pork shoulder -- or
- ham bone
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 quarts Cold water
- 1 cup Fresh or canned tomatoes -- peeled, seeded, and
- 1 cup fresh or canned toma
- olive oil 1/4 cup good sherry In a large kettle, cover beans with water, refrigerate and soak overnight.
- The next day, drain beans, add pork or ham bone,onion, thyme, bay leaf, pepper, and cold water.
- Set over medium-high heat and bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat and keep at simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Cool, remove onion, hambone and fat, cut up meat into small pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Add tomatoes and olive oil.
- Put half the mixture in a blender and blend until almost smooth, but not liquified.
- Add to whole bean mixture.
- To serve, stir in sherry and reheat.
- Ladle into warm soup bowls.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer