End-of-month Vegetable Soup
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 potatoes (small)
- 40 g bacon pieces (for seasoning)
- 4 prosciutto end bits (for seasoning - optio
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 bouquet garni (e.g., 5 ml each of parsley
- 2 chicken or beef bouillon cubes (standard s
- 2 cloves garlic
- pepper (to taste)
- 250 ml white wine (optional)
- Make the bouquet garni by tying the herbs up in a cheesecloth or coffee filter.
- Put a quart of water to boil with 2 ml salt (I don`t like to use too much salt if I use bouillon), the bouquet garni, and the bouillon.
- Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and add these to the soup together with the bacon and/or prosciutto ends.
- Bring this to a boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- If scum forms on the surface, skim it off.
- Dice the potatoes and add to the boiling pot.
- Cut up everything else and add it.
- Add the wine.
- Adjust the liquid so that it covers the vegetables.
- After it boils again, adjust the seasoning and simmer for about an hour, or until it is done (this is quite subjective).
This page is made by Pascal Meijer