FRIED SHRIMP WON TON SOUP WITH SMOKED HAM
- 36 Fresh shrimp won ton
- 8 cups Chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Light soy sauce -- or to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon White pepper
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch mixed with 1/3 -- cup water
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 Egg whites
- 2 Green onions -- trimmed and
- 3 tablespoons Minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Minced Smithfield ham or -- prosciutto
- Peanut or corn oil for -- deep-frying
- the dumplings are deep-fried then covered with broth garnished with lacy shreds of egg white.
- The finished soup gets a sprinkling of chopped cilantro, green onions and Smithfield ham.
- To deep-fry won ton:
- Preheat a wok or deep saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add at least 2 inches oil, heat to 365.
- Deep-fry the won ton in batches, without crowding and turning occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove with a skimmer, drain on paper towels.
- Put won tons in a shallow 3-quart soup tureen.
- Bring chicken stock, soy sauce, sherry and white pepper to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook until soup thickens, about 15 seconds.
- Fold in sesame oil.
- Remove stockpot from heat.
- Lightly beat the egg whites just to break them up a bit.
- Stir soup in a circular motion while slowly and in a steady stream pouring in the egg whites.
- The whites should set within seconds into a lacy pattern.
- Pour soup over won tons, garnish with chopped onions, cilantro and Smithfield ham.
- Serve hot.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer