Ham Bone and Bean Soup
- 10 ounces 15-bean soup beans -- or other "ham" beans
- 1 1/2 cups Ham scraps or fat -- divided
- 1 Ham bone (optional)
- 1 Turkey carcass (optional)
- 1 Celery stalk -- sliced
- 1/2 Carrot -- sliced
- 1/2 Bay leaf -- crumbled
- 2 1/2 quarts Water (or more)
- 1 Onion -- chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves -- chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- Tabasco (optional)
- Finely chopped fresh herbs -- (optional) -
- COVER THE BEANS WITH WATER and soak overnight, or place in a pan, cover, and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat and let sit 1 hour.
- Make a stock of 1 cup of the ham scraps or ham bone and optional turkey carcass, celery, carrot, bay leaf and water by bringing to the boil, reducing heat, and simmering a couple of hours.
- Degrease and strain.
- This may be done ahead and frozen.
- When ready to cook, add the beans, onion, and garlic to the stock, and bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer until done, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and optional hot sauce.
- Add freshly chopped herbs if desired.
- Remove from the heat.
- May be made 1 to 2 days ahead.
- Add the remainder of the ham 1/2 hour before serving.
- Bring back to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer