Hot & Sour Soup
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 half-inch ginger root slices -- minced
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots -- sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pork -- sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cake tofu -- cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg -- beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaf -- chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallions -- chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Soak mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Drain, remove and discard stems, and shred caps.
- Heat oil in heavy duty saucepan, add shredded mushroom caps and ginger and stir over moderately high heat for one minute.
- Add bamboo shoots and stir for an additional minute.
- Add chicken stock, pork slices, and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil and simmer ten minutes.
- Add tofu and cook three minutes more.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup cold water.
- Add, with pepper and vinegar, to soup.
- Cook until mixture thickens and clears.
- Turn off heat and drizzle beaten egg over top.
- When egg sets, serve, garnishing with chopped scallions, coriander leaves, and sesame oil to taste.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer