- 1 cup White beans -- dried soaked
- 5 tablespoons Olive oil
- 5 cups Garlic -- minced
- 1 each Onion -- minced
- 2 each Leeks -- white part sliced
- 2 each Carrot -- sliced
- 1/2 each Sm Cabbage -- shredded
- 2 each Potato -- diced
- 1 pound Tomato -- sliced
- 1 each Sm Tomato paste
- 6 cups Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Celery seed
- 1 each Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme
- Sea salt -- to taste
- Pepper -- to taste
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1 each Zucchini -- sliced thin
- 3/4 cup Green beans -- trimmed and cu
- 1/4 cup Peas
- 4 ounces Spaghetti -- broken
- 4 tablespoons Parsley -- chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese -- fresh grat
- In heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat oil add garlic, onion, leeks, carrots, and cabbage.
- Saute, stirring over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Add presoaked beans, potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, water/stock, celery seed, Parmesan rind, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, and *dried* basil (fresh basil should be added at the end of the cooking.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 2 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Remove Parmesan rind and bay leaf.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, zucchini, green beans, peas, and spaghetti and cook another 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Stir in parsley and fresh chopped basil and serve, topping each bowl with a generous amount of freshly grated Parmesan.
- This freezes well.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer