New Year's Day Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- 2 cups Black-eyed peas -- dried
- 2 quarts Water -- more if needed
- 1 Ham bone with "trimmings"
- 3 Onion,medium -- chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Wash the beans well in cold water several times, then place in a large, heavy stew pot and cover with water.
- Allow to soak overnight.
- The next morning (start early - beans like to take their time), pour off the soaking water, and ham bone, 8 cups of water, onion and seasonings.
- Put on the back of the stove and let simmer gently until beans are very tender, usually about 4 hours.
- Add more water if needed.
- Remove and discard ham bone.
- If the water looks a bit scant pour in 1-2 cups more.
- When beans are good and tender remove about a cupful of the beans and mash well with some of the bean liquid.
- Return mashed beans to pot, taste for seasoning, and serve steaming hot over freshly cooked white rice.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer