Ox Tail Soup
- 2 pounds Ox tails -- disjointed or
- 2 each Veal tails
- 1 each Onion- medium -- sliced
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 8 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 each Peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Parsley -- chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrots -- diced
- 1 cup Celery -- diced
- 1 each Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes -- drained
- 1 teaspoon Thyme- dried -- crushed
- 1 tablespoon Unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon Butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup Madeira
- In a 4-quart Dutch Oven brown oxtail and onion in hot oil for several minutes.
- Add water, salt and peppercorns, simmer uncovered for about 2 hours.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 3 additional hours.
- Add the parsley, carrots, celery, bay leaf, tomatoes, and thyme, continue simmering for 30 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.
- Strain stock and refrigerate for an hour or more.
- In a blender puree the edible meat and vegetables and reserve.
- Remove fat from top of stock and reheat.
- In a large, dry frypan brown flour over high heat.
- Cool slightly.
- Add the butter or margarine, blend.
- A little at a time, add the stock and vegetables.
- Correct seasoning and add madeira just before serving.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer