- 2 pounds Ripe tomatoes (or 2 15-oz -- cans), chopped
- 1 medium Onion -- thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar -- heaping
- 2 teaspoons Finely chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 Whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 pint Light cream
- 1 cup Milk
- 6 large Croutons -- buttered
- 2 tablespoons Chopped chives
- Peel and seed tomatoes.
- Saute onion in butter and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add bay leaf, sugar, cloves, salt, pepper and basil.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are thoroughly cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves and transfer mixture to blender or food processor to puree.
- Add cream and milk and heat through.
- Serve topped with toasted buttered croutons.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives.
This page is made by Pascal Meijer