Pictures

 

 

 

This is how it all started, at least when it comes to the latest prototype. Before that, there were numerous "trials" in cardboard and foam board. But this latest one is in MDF. The size of the cockpit is 105 cm width (panel 103 cm), 30 cm deep and 56 cm height with the glare shield.

 

 

The lower part of the cockpit includes the main power supply (for the simkits instruments), the yoke control and the USB hub which connects 7 of the 9 elements. The Flightsim yoke from CH products is placed in such way that the controls are free

 

 

. Here you see the panel in the final position. It's resting on a lateral peace of MDF and the altimeter and standby attitude indicator are placed. The panel laser cut from 2mm thick aluminium, grey coated sprayed and fixed with screw through 3 mm holes in yet another peace of MDF at each side of the cockpit. All the simkits instruments are in position. Note the two square openings with rounded angle where the TFT screen will fit behind. Also note the wide rectangular opening that will feature the caution panel. Because of the size of the TFT screen (14 inches= a height of 24,5 cm in this configuration) there is a relative large gap between the instruments. This is a small shortcoming to my project, but as soon as I find a smaller TFT screen, I will fix this.

 

 

 All the simkits instruments are in position. Note the two square openings with rounded angle where the TFT screen will fit behind. Also note the wide rectangular opening that will feature the caution panel. Because of the size of the TFT screen (14 inches= a height of 24,5 cm in this configuration) there is a relative large gap between the instruments. This is a small shortcoming to my project, but as soon as I find a smaller TFT screen, I will fix this.

 

 

 Here's a nice top view of the left part of the panel. The peace of wood that runs from left to right (and over the yoke) is there to provide stability between the side panels, but also to hold the CCU.

 

 

 All the simkits instruments are connected to the CCU (version2) that acts as an the interface between the gauges and the computer. I fitted it on a peace of MDF and placed it on top of the yoke.

 

 

 Another inside view. You can see all the instruments (except the standby attitude indicator) and the TFT screen. In the lower right part you can see the power supply.

 

 

 We coming close to the final part. On this picture, you can see the front side with now the radio's fitted. Time to move it on my desk for a first trial.

 

 

 I've been flying in this configuration for a while. The glare shield is made out of balsa wood, which is very light and very easy to shape with sanding paper. The lower panels are in place. They are not functional yet. It's just peaces of foam board covered with black leatherlike self-adhesive vinyl.

 

 

 Almost on final. The instruments are all working. The glareshield is painted and the MCP from Gofight is place. This is fun flying. The project doesn't end here. I'm thinking of rebuilding the whole structure in aluminium. I have to retrofit the engine panel with a TFT screen. Depending on the possibility to have 3 screen outputs, I might consider to install a GPS. I'll have to rethink the configuration of the right panel. The advantage of aluminium is definitely weight, because as I said earlier, it is portable, but still, you need some force to lift it up.