Hi, I have been practicing this Olympic sport since 1987 and gathered several national titles, a European champion title and I competed in the Olympic Games. I studied physics and radiation physics at university and I'm working half-time as a medical physicist. Nearly all of the other half-time is filled with weightlifting. To qualify for the Olympics 2008 I have been training fulltime from April 2007. Currently I'm combining my job and lifting again and I’m aiming to compete in the next Olympics. I started this page back in 2001 to try to compensate for the general lack of information and interest on weightlifting in Belgium. It is also a way to show my gratitude to my Sponsors: ASICS & SANAS & DANSSCHOOL LA MARIPOSA.
Introduction and personal information
Name: Tom Goegebuer
Date of Birth: 27/03/75
Diploma 1: Licentiate in Physics (University Ghent)
Diploma 2: Master’s degree in Biomedical and Clinical Engineering, Radiation
Physics (University Ghent)
Occupation: Radiation Physicist (Half-time for AV-Controlatom)
Half time employed as a sportsman by BLOSO
Sport : Weightlifting
Category: -56/ -62 kg
Length : 164 cm
* First competition at the age of 12 (1987) at a bodyweight of 31,7 kg: Snatch:
30 kg, Jerk 37,5 kg, Total 67,5 kg.
* My father Richard Goegebuer has been my trainer and coach since the beginning.
Last years, my father has been assisted in coaching by my good Finnish friend
Kari Kinnunen and my girlfriend Bieke Vandenabeele.
* With +400 points Sinclair , 3rd best Belgian weightlifter all times.
* European Champion 2009, European Silver Medallist 2008, European Bronze 2010
* Olympic Games participant 2008 & 2012
* When not training full time, generally training 6 days a week, usually in my
home and my club Royal Olympic Gent.