Latest Version: 0.7
Source Code Release: 0.7
BooM is a deathmatch only mod for Quake ][. For those players who
get immense satisfaction out of fragging enemies with the blast of
a well-placed rocket or grenade, you will find even more fun with
BooM. With a multitude of new weapons, you have yet more ways to
blow your opponents to smithereens.
24th February 1999
5th February 1999
- I've decided to release the source code for BooM. I'm making it available to everyone, in the
hope that this can become community developed. I'll collate any patches you send me, and release new
versions approximately weekly.
- The first "news" item. Wow. BooM 0.7 is now available.
Not an incredible amount that's new, but I've implemented
the beginnings of a bot. It's kinda cool, since it's the
first client-emulated bot for Linux (at all). Hmmmm... how
many Linux-related "firsts" has BooM done? :-P
- I got the 2.2.1 kernel up and running. Need I say that
Linus Torvalds is one great guy? That he's done better
work than BG (don't you dare mention his full name), but
has done it all for
free? Nah, that's just the bleeding obvious!
What's new in BooM 0.7
- A very simplistic bot. (Don't tell me it's stupid -- I KNOW!!)
- Some laser trip bomb problems have been resolved.
- Full support for all 3.20 features, including VWep, spectator-cam, packet filtering and
- An assortment of brand new weapons and sidearms, including a grappling hook, rocket booster, sticky
bombs, C4 backpacks, homing missiles, laser trip bombs and gravity wells.
- A fully-functional chasecam, so you can see yourself!
- Internal Help System for a quick reference on command usage.
- A static drone designed for target practise.
- A sniper laser that's 100% accurate.
- An automated deathmatch opponent (a.k.a. "bot").
A Few Screenshots:
[Click for a larger picture]